Random Musings-Part 33- Translation of selected verses of Ganapati Stavaha
Ganapati Stavaha is a famous recitation written by Garga Rishi dedicated to Lord Ganesha. In this Stavaha, Ganesha is identified with Para-Brahman who is Nirvikalpa and Nirakara.
अजं निर्विकल्पं निराकारमॆकं निरानन्दमानंदमद्वैतपूर्णम् । परं निर्गुणं निर्विशेषं निरीहं परब्रह्मरूपं गणेशं भजेम् ॥१॥
अजं= unborn,निर्विकल्पं= without change or which is beyond understanding, निराकारमॆकं= Without any definite form, the One निरानन्दमानंदमद्वैतपूर्णम् = who is beyond happiness, who is the very Bliss, who is Non-Dual and Complete,
परं=who is the highest निर्गुणं= who is without Gunas निर्विशेषं= without any differences/divisions, निरीहं= who is without desire and without activity परब्रह्मरूपं= the very form of Para-Brahman, गणेशं भजेम्= I saulute to Ganesha
1. I worship Ganesha, who is unborn (i.e eternal, who is Self-Existing always and hence never undergo Birth), who is beyond understanding (i.e. Mind and senses cannot perceive him) or who is changeless (i.e. as he is birthless, he does not undergo the changes of birth, growth, decay & death), who is without a form (i.e. he is the abode of all the infinite number of forms and hence he is without any definite form. He is formless and also manifests as infinite number of forms), who is One (i.e. Here, One does not refer to Numerical entity, but refers to the fact that Brahman who is Infinite alone Exists),who is beyond happiness (i.e. who does not have happiness or bliss as a quality or attribute), but who is the Absolute Bliss itself (i.e. Ananda or Bliss is not an attribute but it is his very Nature), who is Non-Dual (i.e. who is One, the Infinite without any second), Who is Complete (i.e. who is present everywhere and there is nothing outside of him, who is everything and hence complete in itself without need to attain any second entity, who is Whole in every sense), who is the highest (i.e. he is the Highest state of attainment, the Paramarthika Satya-the Absolute Truth), who is without any Gunas (i.e. he is devoid of Gunas hence, devoid of any Upadhis or Limitations), who is without divisions (i.e. he is one homogenous whole, without a second, without any differences), who is without desires and activity (i.e. as desires are root of activity, Ganesha identified with Brahman is without desires and hence without activity too. And hence all activity is only rooted in Maya- an appearance like a magic) and who is the very form of Para-Brahman.
सदा सत्ययोग्यं मुदा क्रीडमानं सुरारी न्हरंतं जगत्पालयंतम् । अनेकावतारं निजज्ञानहारं सदा विश्वरूपं गणेशं नमामः ॥५॥
सदा= always, सत्ययोग्यं= fit for Truth मुदा=pleasure/joy क्रीडमानं=sporting, सुरारी न्हरं= Destroyers of enemies, तं जगत्पालयंतम्= you are the sustainer/protector of the Universe,
अनेकावतारं= having many avataras, निजज्ञानहारं=the true garland of Knowledge, सदा विश्वरूपं= Always of the form of Entire Universe गणेशं नमामः = I salute to Ganesha
5. Let us worship Ganesha, who is always fit for Truth i.e. who is always established in Truth, who desire pleasure from his Sport (here sport refers to the Lila or manifestation of Jagat, Ganesha is identified with Ishwara, who creates, sustains & destroys the Universe and all of this is a mere Lila a sport to him), who is destroyer of enemies and protector of the worlds, who takes many avataras (for the sake of various creatures), who is the very garland of knowledge (i.e. all branches of Vidya has its abode in him, he is the source of all Knowledge), who is always of the form of Universe (i.e. Ganesha identified as Brahman, is always empirically available as Vishwa/world for perception).
तपोयोगिनं रुद्ररूपं त्रिनेत्रं जगद्धारकं तारकं ज्ञानहेतुम् । अनेकागमैः स्वं जनं बोधयंतं सदा सर्वरूपं गणेशं नमामः ॥६॥
तपोयोगिनं= he is a yogi-par excellence who is always performing austerities रुद्ररूपं= he is of very form of Rudra/Terrible, त्रिनेत्रं- Three eyed one, जगद्धारकं= the bearer/sustainer of Universe तारकं= the liberator ज्ञानहेतुम्= the cause of Knowledge । अनेकागमैः स्वं जनं बोधयंतं= Through many aagamas/scriptures he teaches about (him)self to people, सदा सर्वरूपं= Always of the form of Everything गणेशं नमामः= I salute Ganesha
6. Let us worship Ganesha, who is a Yogi always performing austerities, who is the very form of Rudra (i.e. Rudra= Terrible, hence Ganesha is not only a Shanta-Devata/tranquil deity but he is also a Ugra devata/terrifying deity. As Rudra he burns up people’s karmas quickly and helps them to attain Enlightenment very quickly or he is Rudra who causes the destruction of the Universe), who is three eyed one (The two eye denote the eyes of duality from which empirical multiplicities of Universe is perceived, the third eye denote the eye of Jnana, from which Non-Dual Atman alone is perceived, hence Ganesha is Para-Brahman who could perceive both Duality and Non-Duality), who is sustainer of the Universe (Ganesha is the Atman, Innermost Self of Universe & its objects. And As the inner-controller, he sustains the whole Universe), who liberates people by cycle of karma, who causes Atma-Jnana/Self Realization in the seekers, who teaches about himself to people through many scriptures, who is always of the form of everything (i.e. Ganesha is Brahman, he is everything. There is nothing outside of him).
नमः स्तोमहारं जनाज्ञानहारं त्रयीवेदसारं परब्रह्मसारम् । मुनिज्ञानकारं विदूरे विकारं सदा ब्रह्मरूपं गणेशं नमामः ॥७॥
नमः स्तोमहारं= who is a garland of hymns जनाज्ञानहारं= who is a garland of public knowledge i.e. knowledge pertaining to he world त्रयीवेदसारं= the essence of three vedas परब्रह्मसारम्= the essence of Para-Brahman । मुनिज्ञानकारं= the causer of Knowledge in Muni/hermit. विदूरे विकारं= far away from change/transformations सदा ब्रह्मरूपं= Always of the form/nature of Brahman गणेशं नमामः= I salute to Ganesha
7. I worship Ganesha, who is the garland of Hymns (i.e. the very source/abode or personification of all hymns including the Vedic mantras), who is also a garland of wordly knowledge(Hence, Ganesha is abode of both Worldy & Spiritual Knowledge- Laukika & Vaidika, who is the essence of 3 Vedas, the essence of Para-Brahman, who imparts Knowledge to hermits,who is untouched by all transformations (the Vikara’s refer to 6 vikaras that objects in world undergo- potential, birth, growth, transformation, decay and death. The world is called Jagat-that which moves as the objects in Universe are always in motion from birth to death. Ganesha who is Para-Brahman himself is Nishkriyam-without activity, he is unaffected by the changes in Universe), who is always of the form of Brahman i.e. who is Brahman itself.
अनेकक्रियानेकशक्तिस्वरूपं सदा शक्तिरूपं गणेशं नमामः ॥९॥ प्रधानस्वरूपं महत्तत्वरूपं धराचारिरूपं दिगीशादिरूपम्|
अनेकक्रियानेकशक्तिस्वरूपं= Who is of the form of various actions & various energies सदा शक्तिरूपं= Always of the form of Shakti गणेशं नमामः= I salute Ganesha ॥९॥ प्रधानस्वरूपं= The very form of Pradhana/Prakriti/Maya महत्तत्वरूपं= The very form of Maha-Tattva/Hiranyagarbha धराचारिरूपं= who is of the form of wanderer’s (Sanyasins, Vairagi’s) on earth दिगीशादिरूपम्= of the form lord of the directions|
9. I worship Lord Ganesha, who is of the form of various activities & various shaktis (i.e. he is inhabits all activity & all powers in the Universe. He is the source of them), who is always of the nature of Shakti/activity, who is the very form of Pradhana or Mula-Prakriti (called as Maya in Vedanta, that is material cause of Universe), who is Maha-Tattva or Hiranyagarbha (which is called as First Born as it is first manifestation that happens out of Mula-Prakriti), who is of the form of Wanderer’s on earth i.e. Vairagis & Sanyasins, who is the very lord of directions.
असत्सत्स्वरूपं जगद्धेतुरूपं सदा विश्वरूपं गणेशं नताः स्मः ॥१०॥ त्वदीये मनः स्थापयेदंघ्रियुग्मे स नो विघ्नसंघातपीडां लभेत ।
असत्सत्स्वरूपं= Who is of the form of both existence & non-Existence, जगद्धेतुरूपं= The cause of the Universe सदा विश्वरूपं= Always of the form of Universe गणेशं नताः स्मः=I salute Ganesha ॥१०॥ त्वदीये मनः स्थापयेदंघ्रियुग्मे स नो विघ्नसंघातपीडां लभेत= he who places his mind at your feet, will be freed from the pain that is associated with obstacles ।
10. I Salute Ganesha, who is of the form of both existence & non-existence, who is the cause of the Universe, who is always the form of very Universe, who frees from the pain caused by obstacles, the people who place their minds at his feet.
Note- In the term असत्सत्स्वरूपं- the word asat does not refer to absolute non-existence. Instead it, refers to the Mula-prakriti, in which the whole world is in a undifferentiated, unmanifested form. The word sat refers to- the manifested cosmos- the Karya Brahman. Hence, Asat-sat-roopam means, Ganesha who is identified with Brahman is both Karana & Karya (the cause and effect, the unmanifested & manifested). More on this- “The Manifest & Unmanifest”-https://nithinsridhar.wordpress.com/2013/11/17/random-musings-part-20-the-manifest-and-the-unmanifest/
Listen to the Ganesha Stavaha: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc-L2s4JGa8#t=38
To read the full text of Ganesha Stavaha: http://mantrastuti.blogspot.in/2013/02/ganesh-stava.html